I read a great quote today by Charles Spurgeon. I love quotes. When I read this one it was another reminder of the work that God is doing in my heart this year and the purpose that there is in it.
“I have learned to bless the wave that crushes me against the Rock of Ages.”
What are some of your favorite quotes?
Do you ever have those imaginary conversations in your head? You know, the ones where you go through all of the things that you wished you had thought of when you were actually in the conversation. Or better yet, all of the things that you are going to say (sternly) the next time you see that person. Or, if you could actually get up the guts to confront the person that hurt you and could say everything you want to without crying.
Totally just finished having one of those. I’m sure after I finish writing this I will have some more things to say to that person. They are lucky I don’t have the guts. And I am lucky that God is moving in my heart this year, leading me towards what forgiveness really means and explaining to my heart the value and necessity of reconciliation.
I thought the conversation that I just had (in my head) would be really freeing if I actually got to have it live, but I am wrong. Freedom is found in forgiveness. God will take care of the rest.
My sister, Leah, posted a hilarious blog about Twitter. Go check it out. She cracks me up!
2008 has not really been a great year for me so far and the past two weeks have enforced that point once again as they brought fresh pain with them. My friends thought I was being a little dramatic about the “subprime” year, but they agree with me now. I told them so!
I have to say something about my friends though. They are totally amazing. Someone sent me a text message that happened to have the word fierce in it and I immediately thought of my friends. What that person was describing in the text was not fierce, but my friends are.
Dictionary.com describes fierce as “a showing of heartfelt or powerful intensity.” That is totally my friends! This was displayed so vividly this past week when I found out some disturbing information. I have never seen my friends react the way that they did! As I slowly spread the word to those in my close circle, you wouldn’t believe the intensity that came from them. Let me tell you, had I allowed it, there would have been physical violence and it would not have been pretty. In the words of one friend, “His a** is grass and I am the lawnmower!”
What is amazing about my friends, specifically this week, is that they have totally put up a buffer for me. They are mad and are fighting for me (in their heads mostly) and allowing me to feel what I want, even if they don’t agree with it. I feel completely safe, completely loved, and completely protected. Their fierce reactions to my circumstances is an amazing reminder to me that they care deeply for my heart. I know I have posted this verse before, but I think it needs to be posted again because it describes my fierce friends so well!
Romans 12:9- Love from the center of who you are; don’t fake it. Run for dear life from evil; hold on for dear life to good. Be good friends who love deeply; practice playing second fiddle.
As I mentioned in the post before this, I took a pretty long bike ride today. An hour and 45 minutes on the saddle of a bike gives you a lot of time to think, especially the more your body starts to hurt. Here are some of the things I thought about on my bike today:
1. My friend’s boyfriend has an Xterra that he named Terra Reid (get it?). I was thinking that he probably named it that because there is always so much dirt on her. (Does anyone get that? Cause I was totally cracking myself up!)
2. People should not let their dogs poop right in the middle of the greenway.
3. Why is it that when God has already loosed our chains that we insist on trying to tie them back on and keep ourselves in bondage? I need to remind myself everyday that my guilt and shame were taken care of at the cross.
4. I must make God laugh a lot, because I am constantly trying to control my own life when He already has it worked out.
5. I need to start checking things off of my “10 Things I Want To Do In Atlanta In 2008” list.
6. I am finished with school on April 28 and still have 4 group projects and 3 final exams.
7. Jesus is who we all really long for.
8. Why do all of these squirrels keep running out in front of me? They must be planning an attack and there is one stationed around every corner waiting for me to approach. They are not going to think it’s so funny when one of them gets a thin little racing tire across their head! (It’s a new low when you start plotting against the squirrels.)
9. I should write a blog about the stuff I thought about on my ride today.
I just rode 24.33 miles on my bike. It is important to include the .33 because that was by far the most painful part! That is the farthest I have ever ridden by 2.33 miles. I am pretty proud of myself. I have to admit though, the last 2 miles of that ride were pure pain and I think that my legs will be getting back at me all day for this unexpected and vicious attack against them. Next time I am going for a marathon.
There is a great post today over at 97secondswithGod on freedom and purpose. It’s short and totally worth a read. Link over!
I am always looking for something fun to do or somewhere fun to go and I realized that there are so many things right here in Atlanta that I want to do but have never done. Hence the list below.
10 Things I Want To Do In Atlanta In 2008
1. Have a picnic at Piedmont Park
2. Hike Stone Mountain
3. Eat at Taqueria Del Sol (according to Food Network they have the 3rd best taco in America…pretty impressive)
4. Ride the elevator to the top of the Westin downtown
5. See a movie at the Fox
6. Eat at One Midtown Kitchen (I hear it’s the place to go!)
7. Go see a movie at the Starlight Six Drive In
8. Go to Oakland Cemetery and find Margaret Mitchell’s grave and then go across the street to Six Feet Under and toast her memory (thanks Creative Loafing!)
9. Go to Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park
10. Eat at the big chicken